Monday, September 22, 2008

School days

School has been in session now for almost a month, and I've been too busy to write anything about it. I think the kids are all having pretty good years. Caleb hasn't said much about school, but then again, he never does. This month he learned two new skills that are giving him lots of pleasure--bike riding and origami. Sierra is adjusting to kindergarten pretty well. She is a little stressed sometimes, but I think she's also having fun. I'm teaching pre-K at Madeline's school, and the teachers say Madeline is very easy and well-behaved. She particularly loves singing time.

I think things are finally settling down for me. It was quite the job getting my classroom set up and all the beginning of the year paperwork prepared and filed. I think I've got a pretty good class. Some of them have never been to school before and we have a lot of learning to get them ready for kindergarten in a year. I'm still coaching Caleb's Destination Imagination team, and this year I'm coordinating the DI teams at the elementary school. It has been really time intensive answering all the parents' questions and trying to find and train coaches and organize teams. We have more kids who want to participate than teams available, and I've been feeling the stress of trying to figure out how to place the kids when I don't have enough parent volunteers. I'll be glad when we have the teams going and I can get back to the fun part of DI again. Walking to school on the first day

Sierra and her kindergarten teacher Mrs. Spalding

Madeline waiting in my classroom before the first day of school begins

2 comments:

Ana Maria Cannon said...

These pictures of the kids brought back waves of memories for me. The wave of change each fall brings in the lives of our children. And some days the cycles seem endless. Making breakfast. Packing lunches. Schedules to keep. But trust me on this one. Some day it will all come to an end, and all you'll have will be your own waves of memories that take you back to these wonderful times. Enjoy each precious moment! Even the hectic ones!

brook said...

I'm going to try and remember to find videos from my days in Odyssey of the Mind (Destination Imagination). I don't even know who has them but I definitely want to see them again. Also, if we lived in TX I would totally help you coach!