I'm having a good day with my hand, so I thought I'd write an entry before I forget what has happened and everyone gives up on checking my blog. For Halloween this year, Madeline dressed up as a pink Care Bear. (She always gets to be whatever Sierra was three years ago.) She caught onto trick-or-treating right away, and very happily ran up to each door. Sierra chose to wear her Snow White dress. The next school day she got a chance to make a creative costume when her kindergarten had a nursery rhyme play. Sierra was the Cat and the Fiddle, and carefully carried Ted's very small childhood violin. Caleb wanted to make his costume, and after nearly deciding to be a vampire, he opted to be a refrigerator. He wore a box with two flaps that opened like a side-by-side model that he decorated with alphabet magnets, kids' drawings, and a shopping list, and on his inside doors he pasted pictures of foods.
I feel like Christmas is already upon us. This week we've been to a ballet performance of "The Nutcracker" and Dallas Children's Theater's "Madeline's Christmas." The kids also got a special chance to visit with Santa Claus, who amazingly is related to one of our neighbors. Every year she invites kids to come meet Santa in her home, and my kids are convinced this Santa is no elf stand in. He has a real white beard and naturally stuffed belly, drives an SUV with the vanity plate Santa 1, and has a beautiful costume with an etched and painted belt and key attached for opening doors in homes without chimneys. He even has a little bowl of snow that he brings from the North Pole. Every year with Santa follows the same pattern--Sierra brings her very girly request list (this time a Bitty Baby and Mariposa Barbie), Caleb grills Santa with those hard-to-answer questions (did you know he's 840 years old?), and Madeline gets very excited shouting "ho ho ho" until he looks at her and she breaks down crying.
Speaking of crying, my sweet Madeline seems to have a tantrum quota she's trying to fill. Each day begins with a massive fit until I can persuade her to each breakfast. This can be brought on by such atrocities as me trying to roll up her pants so she doesn't trip or not letting her play when we need to leave for school. Once I get food into her (which can be quite a feat), she usually is pretty happy until about 3pm, when she cries off and on (mostly on) until we can't stand it anymore and put her to bed. Despite her toddler size, she's quite strong when she throws her whole body into protest. It can take me a long time to put her diaper on or buckle her into her car seat when she's in full blown hysteria. I will be happy indeed when she outgrows what I'm sure must be a phase --please, let this be a phase. The one thing that always calms her is seeing the moon outside (when it's available). She also loves "Double Double Lovin" by the Osmonds, but I can only take about ten listenings per day.
Ted was able to take a getaway to visit his brother Brent and his old friend Corey. He loved catching up with them and taking long bike rides and walks through the scenic fall countryside. A die hard Phillies fan since he was a little boy, Ted was overjoyed when they won the World Series.
I'm doing well and keeping busy. I became somewhat of an election addict last month, catching Anderson Cooper 360 or Larry King Live every night. I feel lost now during my down time at night--my old hobby of reading doesn't seem quite so exciting as all the fascinating candidates and CNN's magic map.
We wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. We'll be home all week hoping for sunny weather for lots of outdoor play.
2 comments:
It's nice to see another post about the Biddulph adventures! Thanks for catching us up.
Thanks for all the great info. Maybe we can come up with another getaway for you soon? We're excited to see you at Christmas. Happy Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment