Monday, January 18, 2010

Journey to Tucson

Merry Christmas, everyone! This is the closest I got to sending out a Christmas card this year, but we did love the pictures and cards that arrived from family and friends. Our family spent the holidays in Arizona, exploring the state's natural beauty before heading to my parents' home in Tucson.
Ted wanted to see Lubbock, TX along the way, since it was the biggest TX city he hadn't seen. Here we are at the Buddy Holly monument.
Petrified Forest National Park--I was surprised to learn that Arizona once was positioned in the same place Panama is today. That explains how there used to be a forest here.

Madeline exploring the petrified wood
Sierra took her oath to become a Junior Park Ranger very seriously and wore her badge each day of the vacation.

We stayed in beautiful red rock Sedona for a couple days. We loved the SW decor of the timeshare.

Ted and I hadn't taken a picture with just the two of us since we went to Maui five years ago, so we thought it was about time for another one. Maybe I should have tamed my crazy hat hair...
Hiking in Oak Creek Canyon--Madeline didn't want to wear her jacket, so I talked her into wearing Caleb's old Monsters Inc costume that we brought as a hand-me-down for her cousin Joey.
Ted talked me into connecting with my childhood by posing on the natural water slide that we used to visit when I was growing up. It was too cold to go in the water, but the canyon was much prettier without the summertime crowds.

Caleb, Sierra, and Monster Madeline at Slide Rock

Caleb enjoyed holding a snake and tarantula at a desert wildlife talk.

After a gorgeous first day of hiking in Sedona, our second day we were snowed in. We were disappointed to miss time outdoors, but the snow was lovely to look at.
Visiting Aunt/Dr. Jennifer in Phoenix at her clinic--we had to reassure the kids that they wouldn't be receiving shots.

1 comment:

Ana Maria Cannon said...

The pictures are breathtaking. I'd forgotten how beautiful Sedona was. And seeing you posing on the rock, like you're ready to take off, brought back so many fond memories. I like the photo of Jennifer and the littles together. Madeline looks very apprehensive!