The Grand StaircaseSaturday, August 23, 2008
Titanic Museum
It sounded a little out of place to me having a Titanic Museum in Missouri, but I would highly recommend this museum to anyone who has a chance to go. When we entered the museum, which is built to look like the Titanic as it is about to hit the iceberg, we were greeted by actors in period dress who gave each of us the identity and biography of an actual passenger on board the ship. The museum features all kinds of fascinating and beautiful displays--third class and first class cabins, objects collected from the boat and passengers, stories and photos of the passengers, and a recreated life-size Grand Staircase. The children loved touching an artificial iceberg and putting their hands in water that was the same temperature as the ocean that night. They even got a chance to try to hold onto a deck at increasingly dangerous angles as the boat began to sink. At the end, we each looked up the names we had been given to see what happened to the person. Sierra and Caleb were genuinely relieved that they were first class passengers who survived the accident, although Ted and I were not so lucky.
The Grand Staircase
The Grand Staircase
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a cool museum. I'm glad you had a great time on your trip--how fun.
I'm really puzzled why there's a Titanic museum in Missouri. Nevertheless, it looks like they've done an incredible job with it. I'd really like to see it someday. Are you going to show the kids the movie now? Wonder what they'd think about the ship tipped up in the air with all the people falling down. Pretty scary!
Post a Comment