Friday, August 22, 2008

Tourniquets and Pneumonia

One of the most frustrating things about having a baby is not knowing what is bothering them. A couple weeks ago Madeline was crying all night long, and I couldn't seem to figure out what was wrong with her. I rocked her, gave her cough medicine for the cold she was battling, and advil for possible teething. I went into her room throughout the night as she cried, and sometimes she was still asleep while letting out wails of pain. In the morning, Uncle Danny said he could stay home with Madeline while the kids and I went to school. When he walked into her room, she held up her arm, and he saw that she had her ponytail rubberband wrapped around her wrist. Her hand was so swollen that her skin didn't feel real, and she could barely move her fingers. The rubberband had cut deep into her skin, leaving marks that would take a week to heal. I took her to the doctor's office and they said that everything would be okay, but while we were there I asked if they would check out her cough. The doctor took a long listen and declared Madeline had pneumonia. After a breathing treatment, she sounded less wheezy. The breathing medicine, or Happy Juice as Uncle Danny called it, had the side effect of making her a little loopy. Madeline kept looking up at the ceiling and breaking out in laughter. If you look closely, you can also see her stiff and swollen left hand.

1 comment:

Ana Maria Cannon said...

Ikeep watching this clip over and over, and laughing just as hard each time. However, it is truly pathetic, and I'm just so glad that her had is going to be all right. She must have been absolutely miserable. Three cheers for Uncle Danny! I'd give him a hug if he were here right now!